Oh–kitchen. It’s been too long, truly. We’re back after a long hiatus with some mouth-watering deliciousness. As the cold winter slowly turns into summer, we’ll be featuring more recipes that are quick and easy for any occasion. This gourmet dish is great for any spring or summer brunch. Bacon, egg, tomato, and arugula on lightly browned ciabatta? YES, PLEASE.
This recipe is simple, and only takes a few ingredients. What’s even better, is that it’s super easy to swap ingredients as well. You’ll find the complete list of ingredients and directions at the bottom.
Slice your Ciabatta or Focaccia bread in half.
Grab about 1 tablespoon oil and brush both cut sides of the bread.
Next, pull out the frying pan and place bread with cut sides down. Cook over a medium heat until golden. (About 3-5 minutes)
Next, if you’re using pre-cooked bacon, warm it up on the stove or in the microwave. If fresh bacon is the choice, cook it up!
Once the bread is finished, it should look lightly browned. Mmm. Already smelling good!
Slice up your tomatoes. I found that two slices was about right. Top one piece of your bread with both the bacon and tomatoes.
Now it’s time to make the light dressing that goes with the arugula. Alternatively, if you don’t want to use arugula, lettuce will work just as well. Arugula has a zesty, slightly bitter taste.
Whisk 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon red (or white) wine vinegar in a bowl to blend. Season the dressing with salt and pepper if desired.
Add the dressing to the greens and toss to coat.
Add a little oil to the same frying pan you used to brown the bread in. Bring pan to medium heat. Once the pan reaches a good temperature, crack egg into the pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to add seasoning. Cook until whites are set and yolks are cooked as desired.
Once finished cooking, top your sandwich with egg! Mmm…lookin’ good. Hungry yet? 🙂
Grab your tossed greens and add to the sandwich.
To top it off, sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top to add extra flavor.
By the time you’re finished making this wonderful mid-day goodness you and anyone within 100 feet will be DROOLING. Grab a glass of something cold to drink and enjoy this wonderful dish!
Bacon and Egg Arugula Sandwich on Ciabatta
- 2 ciabatta or focaccia slices
- 2 bacon slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tomato, 2 tomato slices
- 1 tablespoon red (or white) wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup arugula or lettuce
- 1 large egg
- Parmesan cheese shavings
1. Slice bread down middle to make two sandwich-sized pieces.
2. Brush cut sides of bread with around 1 tablespoon oil.
3. Place bread, cut sides down, in frying pan. Cook over medium heat until golden. (About 3-5 minutes)
4. Meanwhile, warm up or cook up your bacon.
5. Slice up your tomato thin, and grab two pieces to put on sandwich.
6. Once bread is finished, top one side with your bacon and tomatoes.
7. Whisk 1 tablespoon oil and vinegar in bowl to blend. Season dressing with salt and pepper if desired. Add greens and toss to coat.
8. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat in the same pan that was used for the bread.
9. Once frying pan reaches decent temperature, crack egg into pan. Sprinkle egg with salt and pepper to add seasoning. Cook until the whites are set and yolks are cooked as desired.
10. Top bread with egg and arugula. Add parmesan cheese for extra flavor. Serve. Makes 1 serving.