With summer gardens and farmer’s markets in full season, one of our favorite things to bake is quiche. There are SO many possibilities for healthy variations and flavors. Today we’re featuring a quick and easy one with kale, onions, and perhaps most importantly, one of our FAVORITE cheeses – goat cheese. We can’t seem to get enough goat cheese around here and we’re always looking for new ways to add it to recipes, salads, and even desserts! As always, the complete recipe can be found at the end of this post. Let’s get cooking!
Preheat your oven to 425ºF. Peel the onion, garlic, (and shallot, if desired). Roughly chop onion and mince the garlic. Depending on how big your onion is, you may only want to use half. Remove and discard the kale stems and roughly chop the leaves.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs and ricotta cheese.
Sauté onions in olive oil until very tender and brown, adding water if needed to prevent burning.
Add the kale (and / or spinach), garlic, and shallot (optional). Cook until the garlic is fragrant and the kale has wilted.
Combine vegetables with egg and mix well. Divide evenly between the crusts and top with goat cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until crusts and have browned and quiche has fully cooked.
Goat Cheese & Kale Quiche (yields 4 servings)
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 18-20 minutes
- 2 small pie crusts with baking tins
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot (optional)
- ½ bunch kale (alternatively, spinach)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Peel and roughly chop onion. Depending on the size of your onion, you may only want to use half. Peel and mince the garlic. Add shallot if desired. Remove and discard the kale stems and roughly chop the leaves.
- In a large pan, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until very tender and lightly browned. Stir in 1 tablespoon of water, scraping up browned bits. Add an additional 2 tablespoons of water and add kale, garlic, and shallot; season with salt and pepper – cooking for an additional 2 to 3 minutes or until the garlic is fragrant and the kale has wilted. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl beat eggs until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Whisk in ricotta cheese and 2 tablespoons of water. Add the cooked vegetables, whisking until thoroughly combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place pie crusts onto a sheet pan, leaving them in their tins. Divide filling equally between crusts. Top with goat cheese and season with salt and pepper. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Ben & Miranda