We love simple, delicious recipes so today we’re sharing one of our recent favorites! This reinvented childhood classic is SO simple yet SO tasty making it easy to add or subtract ingredients to make it your own. We know this hardly even qualifies as cooking 101; we just love sharing good food!
As always, we’ve listed the full recipe and list of ingredients at the bottom of the post.
Grab two slices of bread and spread butter evenly on one side of each slice. Flip the bread slices over so that the buttered sides face down.
Place two slices of cheese on the bread and fold together. Place sandwich on the greased griddle and grill until bread is crispy and the cheese has fully melted. Remove sandwich and (carefully) open it up.
Add desired amount of tomato and basil. You can use basil leaves or basil paste. Sounds weird and totally gross, right? We’ve found that basil paste actually tastes better than basil leaves and is easy to spread. Also add red pepper flakes if desired.
Serve shortly after taking off the grill. We love pairing this simple recipe with some soup too. Enjoy!
Or, cut the sandwich into smaller pieces and serve as an appetizer.
Mozzarella Grilled Cheese (yields 1 sandwich)
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 5 minutes
- Buttermilk bread
- Sliced mozzarella
- 1 tomato
- Fresh basil leaves or basil paste
- Red pepper
1. Heat up a greased griddle under medium heat.
2. Evenly butter two slices of bread on one side.
3. Flip the bread slices over to make sure the buttered side is the outside. Place two slices of cheese on bread.
4. Fold sandwich together and place on griddle. Grill until the cheese has fully melted and the bread is a crispy, golden brown.
5. Slice up the tomato.
6. Remove sandwich from the grill and (carefully) open up the sandwich. Add desired amount of tomato slices, basil, and red pepper (if desired) – or anything else you may want to put on it!
7. Close sandwich and serve shortly after. We love pairing this with some good soup. Enjoy!
Ben and Miranda